Wow! I cant believe that my first week of English Classes is coming to an end. This really has been an exciting week for me. After the first day which was a little discouraging like I had said earlier, I found the following days to go amayingly well. I decided each day would have a theme and we would work on vocabulary for that day and then do some fun games and activities involving the theme.
Monday = Introductions and Greetings
Tuesday = Family
Wednesday = Food
Thusday= Travel
Friday = Entertainment - Movies, Plays, Literature, Art etc.
As I hope you can see we have had a fun week. I have a class in the morning from 10-12 and a class in the evening from 4-6. There are a few people that attend both classes, so I try to make each class a little different. The afternoon class is mostly teenagers, young adults, and one older elder fom the church. So, in the afternoon class I try to do things like cooking and for example today we will watch a movie in English for half of the class. Many of the students backgrounds included 5-10 years of English, so it is fun to be able to teach them new more technical vocabulary and challenge them to use their English as much as possible when speaking in class. One afternoon when class was over the students began to applaud as I was saying goodbye and telling them the theme and goals for tomorrow. It really made me feel like I was actually making an impact. I really felt appreciated.
I think having native speakers is encouraging to those who are shy about learning or futhering their English, so it is so nice to really see our service in action. Lindy and I were discussing the other day about it. It feels like we have been here for so long, yet for no time at all. The time has flown by, yet we feel like we fit right in that it is like we have been here forever. It is like there was always a spot for us here and they were just waiting for us to arrive and fill it. It really is the most wonderful feeling.
Today before our afternoon class we will go tovSlafkas, our host fathers sisters, to pick out fabric for dresses. She is a dressmaker and has said she could make something for us before we left. I am so excited!!! Hello floor length, ultra southern, classy, cute, floral patterned, cotton dress that I cant seem to find in stores!!!
This past week has been spent teaching, LOTS of eating aka more of me to love when I come back!, playing with our brothers and sister, cookouts, and such. Each day a different family has us over to their home for lunch. It has been so wonderful to meet new people!
Tonight we are going to have a cookout here at home for the church. Lots of swimming, sausages, collage its like cobbler mmmm, drinks, ice cream, fruits, veggies, pictures, and TONS of fun!!! Tomorrow Mirka has said she would teach me out to make collage, so I am very excited!!! Which translates family and Bice 408, we are having LOTS of collage this year!!!!!
I really feel blessed to be here and for God to give me this time to serve, but not only serve others but finally God and myself. I went for another run the other day and I just stopped in front of one of my fields of gold as I like to call it and I just wanted to cry. It is so beautiful and here I am just Dreama. No expectations, no stereotypes, well except for stupid, clumy American haha but thats another story, nothing. No one knows my past or what I have experienced, especially this past year and last summer or the burdens I have carried or what I am finally beginning to let go of. I am just Dreama and they love it. Its amazing.
Ok my family is telling me its time to go!!! Love you all!!!

1 Comments:
looks like you guys are having a great time. It sounds wonderful there! (this is Lindy's cousin by the way)
Love
Tori
Post a Comment
<< Home