My Adventures in the Czech Repulic

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Holidays in Foreign Countries: How I Survived Easter in the Czesky!




In the United States on Easter morning it is common for one to wake early to the excitement of an Easter basket either in your room or hidden somewhere within the house. Here in the Czech Republic it’s a bit different…

Tradition has it (and you know any good Wahoo loves tradition) that on Easter Monday the boys, usually encouraged or led by their fathers, go from house to house, with willow branches that are tied together with crate paper tied to the top, switching the women of each house singing a rhyme that asks for an egg. Originally a Pagan holiday that is still continually observed, it seemed to me almost like a male’s version of the perfect Halloween: No custom, you go from door to door with a big basket, you get to hit girls, and they in turn must give you an egg and candy. As I was not sure how I really felt about this, I came to Lovosice prepared. Earlier during the week I had purchased a willow tree switch at the Easter Market in Prague. Much to my dismay, it did not help in my efforts.

At 6:30 Easter Monday morning, my covers were torn off as I was dragged out of bed to be switched by Standa (the father), Luky, and Standa (the boys). Then they proceeded to do the same to their sister Dani and then to Mirka (the mother). I would also like to reiterate the 6:30 IN THE MORNING portion. Thank you. Quite confused and disheveled, I waited for Mirka to give them their eggs and candy and I returned to bed. Then at 8 o’clock, I was told breakfast was prepared. As I woke up for the second time, I saw a small Easter basket sitting in my room with a chocolate Easter bunny. Earlier during the weekend, I had been asked about traditions of Easter in the States, of which I explained the importance of the Easter Bunny (ha!) and of course the basket with the chocolate bunny. It was so kind of them to make me feel so at home! It was almost as good as getting my Easter basket in Virginia!

As I headed down for breakfast, the doorbell rang. I have never been switched so many times in my life! (haha not harshly of course!) Little did I know this would not be the end. Finally after the boys stopped coming and the boys of our family returned from the fair share (which btw I should mention when the boys came home they had chocolate for Dani and I that other moms had given them to give to us!), we packed up and headed for the yearly hike up Mount Lovos. After about an hour and half of hiking, we reached the top. There we took in the view and (if you were female) dodged willow branches as is custom the boys have free range until noon. Once we were ready we headed down the backside of Lovos hiking over to another nearby town. There we stopped at the ruins of a small castle and had a cookout, sang praise songs, and one man offered a short sermon. It is quite incredible; apparently for years Christians from neighboring towns have always hiked to this place on Easter Monday to share time together. After lunch we walked over to another town and watched the boys and men play soccer. By the time we reached the soccer field it was almost 3 and we were all so exhausted! I don’t know how the boys were able to muster up the energy to play their game. After the game, everyone headed home and the day came to an end. Although, I must confess I spent the rest of the evening/afternoon quite busy with changing houses and meeting with leaders from the Youth Group. Needless to say, I definitely got my fair share of exercise for the day if not alone from trying to escape willow branches, than at least having spent the entire day hiking/walking.

Now having completed this entry as I sit at Radek and Katerina’s (the pastor and his wife) home, I think I shall prepare for bed. And it cannot come soon enough! But, I must say this has been quite an Easter being able to celebrate it in a different culture. I don’t think I can ever forget my first holiday outside of the U.S.: Easter in the Czesky.

1 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHOA the switching seems soo weird! Happy to hear you still got your chocolate bunny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home