It makes me feel good to know that there are still those days when I become overwhelmingly excited to know that I, Dreama Lynn Montrief, live in Prague – whether it’s when I wake up or go for a run through the park next door or cross one of the bridges in a tram car and look out to see the Castle or the roof tops of Old Town Square – a smile slips across my face because I still have not forgotten the excitement, the privilege, the importance of this opportunity. I am still reminded so often that I live in one of the most incredibly beautiful cities in all of Central Eastern Europe, dare I say Europe – I’m slightly prejudice. It’s just a good feeling to have – to realize even after a few months, I am still not taking this experience for granted, that even when I get burned out over touring other cities, other important historical places of the past, I can return to Prague and it can still feel like the first time and yet like I’m coming home. Perhaps it’s almost kind of like when you return home from college. Let’s be honest, Martinsville doesn’t have exactly the same appeal as say larger cities – I mean I guess I could say the racetrack and the old court house have their individual appeal (HA!), but before leaving the town you really don’t have an affinity towards it. However, when you go off to school it changes. Coming back home is such a treat for me. To remember where I grew up – where I went to high school or won my first softball game (not that there were many wins) or the first Friday I wore the Varsity cheerleading outfit to school Freshman year (it was a big day) or went on my first date or the field near my house where dad would practice pitching with me or Barrow’s Mill Road where I first learned how to drive or Jan’s where mom and I ALWAYS went for strawberry milkshakes. There’s just something about it that changes when you leave and come back. Maybe that’s what I am feeling for Prague now, and how incredible to be able to link this city to my home. Granted, completely different places, but at the same time the beauty of life and space that two places so different can have the same feeling of comfort and wander and beauty to a human. Cheers to life abroad!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home