My Adventures in the Czech Repulic

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My Life Is A Fairytale!

Marc Johnson asked me to be his wife!!! (May 10th) I get to marry the man of my dreams! I get to do life with Marc Johnson!!! How exciting!?! The proposal was perfect and true to everything one would expect from Marc Johnson - my favorite city (Prague), a magical castle, a beautiful church, and one surprised fiancee-to-be! Inside the Prague Castle there lies a gorgeous Cathedral, St. Vitus with a tiny spiral staircase leading to a tower with one of the most beautiful views of Prague. Having survived the hike up the narrow staircase, I dragged Marc around the top forcing him to take pictures and pointing out things within the city, not really paying attention to the fact that Marc's mind was preoccupied with other thoughts. Finally, looking out the window with what I thought was the best view, he pulled me in close. And after having not seen each other in four months, I was expecting a sentimental moment between the two of us. As he pulled me in, he started speaking of love and our love and God's love and I was so swept away. I put my head on his chest and that's when I heard it - his heart was racing! And that's when I knew! I gasped for air and really the next thing I remember is Marc being down on one knee, asking me to spend my life with him. Of course in true Dreama fashion, I had to ask if he was sure and to make sure he was serious...and then I said YES!!! It was such a perfect moment! Ok, really a perfect day, trip, life ahead etc! We called our families shortly after making it back down the tower, but WOW what a day! I am so blessed - to get to marry someone who is so encouraging and supportive and really just a gift and to join an amazing family who are just as loving as this man! Life is beautiful.

Life continues to amaze me as I realize how blessed I am. This semester has been a lot of changing and growing and experiencing and seeing new things, but also learning how to maintain ties to people who are so important to me. And I could never imagine even a year ago where I would be standing today. It's truly incredible how life falls into place sometimes. I can only humble myself enough to pray that everyone could only experience the joy and love I have experienced especially in just this year alone.

I know it has been awhile since my last update, but now I am settled into Lovosice, teaching English and preparing for the arrival of students from UVA and William and Mary. Teaching is going well so far. I am teaching a beginner course for children two times a week, an advanced beginners course twice a week (this is a group of students both children and adults that I have been working with all semester), and an advanced course once a week. In between I get to visit with people from the church as well as meet with many of the youth and the pastor Radek to plan for the English Youth Camp we will have at the end of July. It is exciting too because I have been able to build relationships also with people who are not involved in the church through the English lessons. Many of the advanced students who are not in the church have been so kind to invite me over for coffee or dinner and we have had so many wonderful discussions and really just great opportunities for them to use their English skills! It's really been a blessing in making so many of these contacts.

There are two girls from William and Mary coming at the end of June to help me in teaching two weeks of Intensive English Courses and then to also help at the camp. In the middle of the second week of courses three more students from UVA will join us and help with the camp. The Intensive English Courses will be in the morning and in the afternoon everyday for two weeks. We will have the children's beginner course in the morning and the beginner advanced course and the advanced course in the afternoon. I am excited because the two girls coming from William and Mary will be coming from Moldova having worked with children in their Vacation Bible School, so I am excited to have their input especially for the beginner's class. And of course I am excited to have those who are coming from UVA because they happen to be some of my closest friends at UVA. It will be such a treat to get to share one of my favorite places in the world with people who are so special to me. The six of us will then lead morning classes at the camp as well as share in the time together with the youth from the Lovosice Baptist Church. The camp is aimed at developing/strengthening English Skills, but also deepening personal spiritual growth with God. We all here - the youth, leaders within the church, and myself - have been working to get things planned for the camp since the middle of the semester, so it is nice to see things slowly start to come together. It is also exciting for me to be preparing for all of their visits and time with us and setting up host families and activities. I look forward to their arrival!

After camp is over, those from the US will have a few days to relax before heading home. I am planning a day trip to Prague and hopefully a trip to Terezin. And of course, there will be lots of cookouts with the youth group and maybe even a hike to Mt. Lovos! After they leave, I will have a week before I leave again and head to a Family Camp with the church. The Family Camp should be a lot of fun and I will get to know some of the families I have not had a chance to become so familiar with yet! Then, I'll leave camp a day early to return and spend my last night with the host family who has kept me the most during my time here - The Kucera's and fly out for the US the next morning! (August 10th) Before I head off to the second camp, we are planning a cookout so I can say goodbye to all of the wonderful people who have become family to me here. I know that will be a difficult time, but I know I will see them again.

Early in June my parents came to visit me in Prague. The visit from my parents was so much fun! It was so wonderful to be able to share Prague with them and especially the families in Lovosice. We had such a great time and I was just so happy to see their excitement, especially when we all met in the airport. It was a beautiful moment! I miss them so much, but I can't explain how grateful I am at their support and them trusting me to do this and giving me the resources and encouragement to make it happen. I am really blessed.

I can't believe how fast this time has gone by! Just a month ago my parents were here and a few weeks before that Marc was here! It's really crazy to me how fast the semester went! Not to mention now I am technically a fourth year at The University of Virginia. WOW! I guess they are right when they say time flies with each passing year!

The year ahead looks to be amazing! Now the goal is to figure out how to make it go in slow motion, either that, or continue learning how to treasure each memory to its fullest!!!

3 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dreama:
You have an amazing life ahead. Marc simply adores you (hey, adoration is not overrated...). You cannot come back to the states quickly enough. His summer is moving fast also, but he watches the clock waiting to be with you. More pictures please. Your students sound thirsty, that makes teaching such a joy. See you soon, Tracy

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you Dreama! I can't wait till you get back home. We will have to hang out before you go back to school! Miss you girl!

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Dreama
I was amazed with you story. How lovely and romantic ywe you are lucky, that’s what any girl would dream about! How perfect
I’ve been to Prague many times and I never get sick of it. I stayed last September to study. I love Czech people they are very nice and friendly and also a literate society, as you can see here in this government document. I was amazed buy the Jewish quarter and the bridge, to walk all the way to the castle and the cathedral, as well as the Kafka’s museum but specially the Mucha one. I also liked the sausages in street: ) there’s nothing better when you are hungry.
Besides the small streets I also enjoy in this city is the night life, the Prague music clubs are all so cozy and have such a nice environment and decoration and make you want to stay long. Perhaps you can spend here you last day as single woman!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home