My Adventures in the Czech Repulic

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Back In The CZ:-D

Ahoj!!! Wow I can't believe only a few months ago I was typing one of these blogs to say goodbye thinking January would never come to be able to return to this beautiful country!!!

Today and yesterday we have spent much of our time learning Czech and taking tours of the city and the Jewish Square. Yesterday was our first Czech lesson and I cannot stress enough how much help it was to have learned some words last summer. I think if I had not had some experience with the language I would have been terribly frustrated. It is difficult, but I do enjoy it and I can't wait to practice it this weekend in Lovosice. That will be a lot of fun and I'm sure will cause some laughs along the way!

So aside from being really proud of myself for having made it to Lovosice last weekend alone, yesterday was also a day of exciting events. At lunch, I was ordering my food (IN CZECH :-D...thank God last summer I figured out how to say Ham...that's a funny story....Basically I was trying to explain the concept of "being a ham in front of the camera" because last summer my family took many pictures of "the Americans"...so I may or may not have been hamming it up...Regardless that's how I learned the word...trying to explain this idea to the family) and when I ordered in Czech the lady asked me if I would like it here or for take out in Czech, which I didn't know so she had to say it in English (now I do know, so I am prepared) but still it was GREAT! AND THEN...Last night when coming back for dinner a guy stopped me and asked me for directions in Czech to the Metro. AHHH So, yea once again I could only point and ask in Czech if he spoke English, but just the idea was AWESOME!

Ok...so yea maybe now reading this it doesn't sound all that exciting, but I guess for someone in another country who has really little clue about the language and is just learning the area, it's pretty amazing.

Yesterday afternoon was also a time of very mixed and somber emotions. We went to the Jewish Quarter, which being the Jewish Studies and Religious Studies nerd that I am, I would LOVING IT. Learning about the Jewish community, both past and present, and being able to understand a lot of the rituals and practices and traditions the guide spoke about was really exciting. We saw several synagogue, including the oldest one in Praha (1270 CE Old/New synagogue) which was beautiful as well as the Spanish synagogue where the Nazis kept much of the items that they took away from the Jewish community during Shoah. We visited another synagogue, but the last one, NAME HERE, which is the Memorial synagogue in Praha. On it's walls are lists and lists of over 80,000 names of Czech Jews who were killed during Shoah. It was extremely moving. Upstairs in this particular synagogue were drawings from children who lived in Terezin (a transit camp near Praha and Lovosice but basically another concentration camp, usually the transit camp for Auschwitz). They were randomly found in a suitcase on a train in the CZ and this synagogue now has them categorized and on display. I really cannot even begin to explain the emotions one feels when walking through this temple. To see all of the names and hear them being read over a sound system that repeats continuously throughout the day and then to walk upstairs and see all of these drawings that children made of what the camps looked like to them and pictures of dead bodies and then pictures of their homes when they were little children and places they dreamed of going to escape. Apparently, there was this woman and Terezin, that before she was sent to Auschwitz, would organize these "art classes" (as you can imagine what little of a class one is allowed to actually have in a concentration camp) and use every inch of every scarp of paper possible for children to create these pieces as a way of release and escape from their daily lives. At first I was almost sickened by the some of the pictures but realizing this may have been the only ray of light a child would see every so often and the only way one could truly express their emotions and what they were feelings, it is quite remarkable that they lasted and we are able to see how children were able to find outlets to cope with the living conditions. It really was a moving day in Praha.

Yesterday evening I went out for dinner with two other girls from the Jewish Studies Program. Beforehand I had my first experiences with Czech Grocery Stores. It was quite interesting and a lot of fun. I tried to buy everything I remembered that Mirka (my host mom last summer) had purchased. Haha I must admit grocery shopping is a lot of fun and super inexpensive!

Today we have had our Czech Lesson and will have lunch soon. Later this afternoon we are going on a 3-4 hour walking tour of Praha. It should be amazing. I can't wait. It is supposed to snow soon, so hopefully it won't be too cold, but temperatures are finally dropping to where they normally are this time of year. Also, today, Dane and I will go to get Opera tickets for tonight's performance of Aida. We are going to shoot for the "cheap seats" which are only 100Kc (so about $5)! Crazy!?! I'm really excited....and of course...it's Praha...THE OPERA...and an excuse for me to get dressed up. I mean honestly it screams Dreama!:) To continue on the superficial note: I am in the market for a new winter coat. (SHOCK! (To je sok) I know) I have seen a couple of older ladies wearing this one that I want. Mirka had one as well. It's really cute and classy and "mature" looking. (aka classy and old woman another SHOCK...I know) Soooo hopefully soon you will see pics if I am able to find one! HA

This weekend I am hopefully going to get out of Czech on Friday a little early so I can catch a train to Lovosice and go to a German Water park with the Kuchera's. I'll spend the rest of the weekend in Lovosice and get to attend church on Sunday, which I can't wait to see everyone! Each day, more and more, Praha and the Czech Republic are starting to feel more like home. I must confess (sorry mom), last weekend in Lovosice really felt like coming home. It's almost like Martinsville transplanted in the Czech and Praha is my Charlottesville - Home cooked meals (*cough* mom *cough* JUST KIDDING I LOVE YOU), Family, Hanging out with Church Fam, Movies, my own bedroom, cats to play with...yea I am spoiled. The Kuchera's are very good to me. They are such a wonderful family! It's also nice just to be on my own to some extent. I really like the people on the CET Program, but I also enjoy my alone time, so having to share a bedroom with 2 other girls and an apartment with 4, it's nice to get away. Also, being on my own requires me to practice what little Czech I know and living with the family in the village feels like more immersion to me rather that the Americanized Praha with all Americans in my apartment.

Well, I'm gonna get off this computer and go grab some lunch, an Opera ticket or two;), and then off to explore some more sites in Praha. I hope all is well for everyone! Thank you for the many e-mails...keep them coming!

Also, as there have been many requests, here is my mailing address. PACKAGES and mail are greatly appreciated...

CET Programs
Dreama L. Montrief
Letohradska 26
170 00 Praha 7
Czech Republic

Also, if anyone of you have the desire to call just shoot me an e-mail and I can get you my cell number, but it might be expensive..sooo (thanks to Marc:-D) I also have Skype (uvasouthernbelle) which = FREE:)

Ahoj! I miss you all!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home